Agile project management is a method of IT project management which uses a flexible and iterative approach. This method involves constant input from project team members to deliver continuous improvement to the design and functionality of information technology systems like software and hardware applications and communication devices.
Agile methods include scrum development, XP programming and lean development. Agile project managers adhere to the Agile Manifesto – a series of principles that were created to guide agile software developers on best practices for IT project management.
The Agile Development Manifesto focuses first and foremost on the needs of the customer, allowing for project parameters and dynamics to change depending on the evolving needs of the customer. Individuals are favoured over tools and processes, functionality of working IT components is favoured over reporting and documentation, and a collaborative, responsive method of working is favoured over following a strict work plan.
Key points of the agile project management manifesto include:
- The customers’ IT needs are the priority
- Changing requirements are welcomed throughout the project’s development
- Short project iterations allow for constant assessments of project progress
- Both project managers and developers should work closely with business owners throughout the project in a collaborative way
- Individuals are encouraged to trust each other in their abilities – trust and motivation are crucial
- Face-to-face communication is encouraged for conveying information
- The primary measure of success is working software that meets the customers’ needs
- Sustainable development is promoted so that project sponsors, developers and end users can maintain the pace of the project
- Agility is enhanced through technical and design excellence
- Simplicity in project scope and development is essential
- Self-organised teams can offer better results than those lead remotely from above
- Regular intervals allow team members to assess progress and adjust and adapt as needed
Daysha Consulting provides agile management for IT projects of organisations of all sizes throughout Ireland. Working closely with you they can develop the right tools and technologies to meet your exact requirements.
View Daysha’s range of IT services including agile project management here.
POSTED IN: Articles